Y-12 National Security Complex
The Y-12 National Security Complex plays an important role in U.S. national security and is a one-of-a-kind facility in the National Nuclear Security Administration’s nuclear Weapons Complex.
Y-12 was originally responsible for separating uranium-235 from natural uranium by the electromagnetic process. Today, the site maintains a uranium and lithium technology base for the U.S. and focuses on defense-related R&D and nuclear nonproliferation.
Y-12 has developed state-of-the-art capabilities in manufacturing technologies, protoyping, technical computing, nuclear nonproliferation and safeguards and security.
The Y-12 National Security Complex:
- Provides critical elements of NNSA’s missions that ensure the safety, reliability and performance of the U.S. nuclear weapons deterrent
- Supplies special nuclear material for use in naval reactors
- Promotes international nuclear safety and nonproliferation
- Reduces global dangers from weapons of mass destruction
- Supports U.S. leadership in science and technology
- Applies its expertise to solving a wide range of problems for U.S. industry through partnering and technology transfer